The Competition Ordinance (Ordinance) was passed in June 2012 and commenced on 14 December 2015.
The Ordinance prohibits restrictions on competition in Hong Kong through three competition rules:
- The First Conduct Rule prohibits anti-competitive agreements;
- The Second Conduct Rule prohibits abuse of market power;
- The Merger Rule prohibits anti-competitive mergers and acquisitions.
- The First Conduct Rule and the Second Conduct Rule apply to all sectors of the Hong Kong economy.
- Merger Rule applies only to mergers involving carrier licence holders within the meaning of the Telecommunications Ordinance (Cap 106).